At present, when carrying out repairs, it is customary to lay not only power electric cables inside the walls, but also low-voltage networks (television, Internet, alarm, etc.). This provides an aesthetic appearance of the interior and reduces the risk of network damage during operation. However, if you need to move the TV to another place or in case of damage to open areas, it becomes necessary to lengthen the existing cable line or completely replace it. Which, in most cases, is quite problematic.
Ideally, the signal cable should be laid in one piece without breaks and connections to ensure:
- minimum active and inductive resistance of the transmission line;
- uniformity of wave resistance along the length;
- screen continuity, to protect against electromagnetic fields.
As practice shows, lossless connections are not possible in HDMI cords designed to transmit signals in Ultra HD format. A well-made connection of sections of a coaxial antenna cable is not able to adversely affect the level of the received TV signal.
The list of necessary materials and tools for joining will depend on the selected connection method. And it will be described in detail when considering each method individually. However, no matter what option you choose, you will definitely need an extra length of cable to fit it.
If you come to a specialized store, you will meet at least 5-10 types of cable, significantly different from each other. The sales assistant will tell you about the presented goods and advise on the best option, but you need not just a piece of high-quality wire, but a piece of cable that is most similar in characteristics to the available one.
IMPORTANT! The best result will be obtained when connecting the segments of the same cable.
Therefore, before going to the store, carefully study and write down the marking on the segment you have, and even better if you can cut and take a small piece for the sample with you.
How to extend the TV antenna cable
Consider the main methods to extend the antenna wire in more detail.
Twisting is the simplest connection method that does not require any additional devices, special tools and skills. At the same time, lengthening with twisting is the most unreliable and unaesthetic of all possible. The contact at the point of twisting oxidizes over time, which leads to a significant loss in the quality of the TV signal. This method should be used only as a temporary measure, if it is not possible at the moment to extend the line in a better way.
To connect by twisting it is necessary:
- remove the outer insulation by 4-5 cm and, without damaging the braid, move it to the side;
- remove the inner insulation by exposing the central core by 2-3 cm;
- tightly twist together the central cores of the cable and insulate them with electrical tape;
- twist the cable screens, securely insulate the connection point.
IMPORTANT! It is necessary to exclude the possibility of contact between the central core and the screen.
Through the splitter
Splitter is a special switching device that provides branching of the TV signal. Connection through a splitter is used when there is a need to not easily extend the cable, but also make an additional branch to another TV.
To use this method, you need the splitter itself and, depending on its model, F-connectors or a TV plug. Pay attention to the marking of the device. On the splitter there is one input for the wire coming from the antenna - indicated by IN (INPUT) and several equivalent outputs to which the TVs are connected.
The main thing when using this method is to correctly cut the ends of the antenna cable and install the connectors on them, for which it is necessary:
- remove the outer insulation by 2-3 cm and, without damaging the braid, move the braid in the opposite direction (turn out);
- deviate 2-3 mm from the edge of the braid and remove the inner insulation, exposing the central core;
- screw the F-connector tightly onto the cable (if the connector does not hold tightly - it is worth additionally rewinding the connection point with ordinary foil);
- cut the central core so that it protrudes beyond the end of the connector no more than 0.5 cm;
- similarly carve the other end;
- connect the cables to the splitter, observing the labeling of the inputs and outputs.
Connection through an adapter, the most simple and high-quality connection method, when you just need to extend the existing line. The order of operations differs little from the previous method.
To connect the cable through the adapter - you need the adapter itself and two F-connectors. The procedure is as follows:
- install the F-connectors on the ends of the antenna cable (see the previous method);
- connect the line segments by docking the F-connector and the adapter.
Another common way to connect wires is soldering. Soldering is a cheap highly reliable non-separable connection that does not require additional equipment. However, it requires the presence of soldering accessories and a minimum skill in working with them, so it is not suitable for everyone. To connect the wires using this method, at the beginning the same operations are performed as when connecting the cables with twisted cables and their subsequent soldering.
In the article, we examined the most common methods of connecting wires, from which you can determine the most suitable for you in a particular situation. The most reliable and high-quality connection can be achieved using a splitter or adapter.