A water cooler is a popular thing. It is incredibly simple and easy to use. The cooler is installed even at home. And in offices, banks, social institutions, he has become one of the most popular devices.
Like any other device, the cooler requires attention during operation. It must be periodically cleaned with your own hands. This procedure can be entrusted to professionals, but it is quite possible to carry out it yourself. What is needed for this and how to clean it correctly will be discussed in the article.
The cooler device is simple and is represented by the following elements:
- Containers for water, usually with a volume of 19 to 30 liters.
- Dispenser, the distribution system of which consists of compartments for hot and cold water.
- Connecting pipe Thanks to him, water from the cold compartment enters the boiler for preparing hot water.
- Non-return valve. Serves to balance the pressure of the system. Also, thanks to him, the intersection of water flows does not occur.
Coolers are floor, desktop, flowing. Floor work from an electric network. On the front panel of such a device there is a scoreboard that displays the choice of operating mode. Such coolers should be installed on a perfectly flat floor surface.
Desktop devices consist of a plastic bottle for water and a plastic base. You need to place them on a solid surface, since they are devices that have a lot of weight.
In flow-type devices, water does not come from containers, but directly from the water supply. They have an integrated water purification system. The principle of operation is reminiscent of ordinary filters, which many of us install in the kitchen.
How often does the cooler need cleaning
The purity of the water in the bottle does not mean that the cooler does not need to be cleaned. Bacteria are not visible to the human eye. But they are able to migrate from individual elements of the device into water, thereby making it dangerous. You need to clean the device about once a quarter.
Attention! The instructions for the coolers indicate that cleaning should be done at least once every six months.
But you need to consider the quality of the water used, the temperature regime of the room, and the frequency of use. To make the cooler safe for health, you need to clean it more often.
In addition, the cooler needs to be cleaned if the water producer has changed, repairs have been completed, and if it has not been used and has been in the off position for a long time. If the container has not changed for 30 days, then it is also necessary to clean it.
What will happen if you do not clean the cooler
The main task of cleaning is the elimination of pathogens, which in large quantities accumulate in the details of the device and are able to penetrate into the water.
- Microorganisms that live in the device can form a plaque on the internal components. The same unpleasant green coating deposits on all parts of the device.
- The water contains spores of various algae. If there are a lot of them, the water becomes greenish. In this case, the device itself becomes dirty.
- If you neglect to clean the device, then mold may form on its walls. This is a real health threat.
- When the cooler is in a large office and a large number of people use it, it is inevitable that various debris will get inside the device: threads from clothes, dust, hair. Trash can clog the valve and pipes, resulting in overheating and breakage.
- When the liquid is heated, scale forms. It can disrupt the operation of the heating element and the tank, damage the hot water tap. If the scale paralyzes the operation of the heating element, then the water will stop heating.
What you need for cleaning
Before starting the procedure, you need to carefully study its subtleties. Do not clean the inside of the device under a tap with running water. Also, experts highly recommend not using steam cleaners or dishwashers.
Important information! Powders, abrasive substances and flammable liquids: acetone, kerosene or gasoline are strictly prohibited in use. They destroy parts of the device, can lead to damage.
Cleaning can be timed to coincide with a bottle change. It is better to prepare in advance funds that are useful in order to wash the cooler:
- gel, creamy or liquid dishwashing detergent;
- dishes with clean water (basin or bowl);
- rubber household gloves;
- paper napkins or towels;
- a solution of 5 liters of water and 1/3 cup of citric acid.
When the preparatory phase is completed, proceed directly to the cleaning. It includes several steps that must be completed in strict sequence:
- The cooler must be de-energized.
- Take off the bottle.
- When the water in the device has cooled, it must be drained. For the bulk of the water use taps. Then open the valve and drain the remaining water. The valve is usually located at the side or bottom of the instrument. Its location is better to find in advance. It is recommended to shake the cooler from side to side to remove all the liquid to the last drop.
- Remove all items. The first step is to disconnect the drip tray. Further taps.
- After that, you need to look at the design, since a screwdriver may be needed to dismantle some elements.
When the cooler is disassembled, its parts are cleaned. It includes 3 types of work:
It is also called disinfection. Its purpose is to remove bacterial plaque from the walls of the elements, to disinfect them.
Conveniently place the elements of the device on a liquid repellent mat. Start work by cleaning the external surfaces. To do this, you need a foam rubber soft sponge and dishwashing detergent. Then, with the help of a solution of citric acid, all internal parts, removable parts are washed. To clean inaccessible places, use a brush.
The disinfection solution must be poured into the water tank. To carry out such a manipulation, you will have to remove the bottle tray by turning it counterclockwise. The tank should be full. Check the filling by opening the taps. If everything is done correctly, then water will flow in a continuous stream. In this position, the tank is plugged in for 10 minutes. The heated liquid will remove impurities remaining invisible to the eye. After time, the device is turned off. Drain the solution. And repeat the procedure a couple of times.
If it is not possible to use the power grid, then the solution can be left in the tank for up to 6 hours and then drained.
Important! After the disinfection procedure, the cooler must be washed with clean water.
If the scale is insignificant, then it can be dealt with already at the first stage when using a solution of citric acid.
A more aggressive method is the use of vinegar diluted with water. It is also poured into the tank and left there for 15 minutes. Then they turn on the device in the network, wait for the water to boil and turn it off. After these manipulations, the solution must be left in the tank for 5 hours.
In the most advanced cases, chemicals will come to the rescue. Any descaling agent from dummies is suitable. The powder must be dissolved in the required amount of water (indicated on the instructions). Fill the tank with a solution and connect the cooler to the network. After boiling, wait 20 minutes and drain the solution.
Attention! All work related to cleaning must be done with gloves. In case of contact with eyes, rinse with plenty of clean water. If this procedure does not help, you should consult a doctor.
Cases of contamination are so neglected that even the fan in the device is damaged by scale. Only replacement of parts will help here.
The final stage. It is necessary to clean the cooler from the remnants of the solutions that were used for cleaning. This step should not be neglected, since not removed drops of the cleaning solution can subsequently penetrate into the water, and with it into the human body. To rinse, use ordinary water. It must be poured into the tank. Connect the device to the network and boil water. Water should be in the tank for some time. It is best to leave it for a few hours, for example at night. Then, water must be drained through the taps. This procedure can be repeated another 3-4 times. When boiling again, water can be drained after a quarter of an hour. When rinsing, it is important not to forget about the removable elements. They are also immersed in clean water and washed.
In order for the cooler to serve for a long time, it is important to properly care for it. In the period between cleanings, you need to follow simple recommendations:
- All external surfaces should be cleaned frequently, every 2-3 weeks. This rule applies to cranes, drip tray, container connection ring and front panel.
- You always need to really evaluate your own strengths and not take up the dismantling of removable elements, if you are not sure that they will also succeed in properly installing them later.
- All side surfaces, the neck of the container and the needle should be regularly cleaned with alcohol-based wet wipes.
- The installation of a new bottle should be done with cleanly washed hands to avoid microbes getting on the inner surfaces.
- After installing a new bottle from each tap, you need to drain a glass of water. The same procedure must be performed after cleaning.
- During all stages of the cleaning procedure, the device must be supervised.
Self-cleaning of the cooler only at first glance seems like a complicated and energy-intensive procedure. But after several cleanings, the principle will become clear, and the work will not take much time. It is important to follow the sequence of actions and maintain a positive attitude.